A photographer friend of mine put this up on her blog and I thought it was worth repeating…
Here is a great article about Custom Photography:
Why Custom Photography?
Custom photography is not necessarily a new concept, but one that is becoming an increasingly popular alternative to traditional retail studio photography. There are numerous benefits to hiring a custom photographer. Some of the most appealing are listed below.
1. Personal attention to every detail. Custom photographers do not mass produce their work. They schedule fewer sessions than a retail chain, and ensure that every photo is absolutely perfect in every way.
2. Artistic style. Custom photographers are very well versed on the latest photography styles, and will ensure that you get photos that show your true personality.
4. Custom product offering. Custom photographers offer tons of great products including personalized birth announcements, holiday cards, albums, etc. Your custom photographer will be happy to work with you to find a product that suits your needs, and then to personalize it for you.
6. Low turnover. If you are fortunate enough to find a custom photographer who is a good fit for your family, you may very well have found a photographer for life. Custom photographers enjoy the personal relationship they have with you, and love being part of your milestones… maternity, newborn photos, family portraits, etc… And the better they know you and your family, the better your photos will be.
7. They do not rush you in and out…..they take their time to get that perfect shot.
What custom photography ultimately is all about is choice and experience (as in THE experience). Custom photography is about finding someone who will photograph your family, give you devoted 1:1 attention without worry of the next ‘in line’ or the feeling of a crowded portrait studio. A custom photographer will typically show you a fairly extensive gallery culled to only show the good images that meet the photographers’ creative sensibilities. Often the images are fully edited images-color corrected with blemishes removed, ect. Custom photographers are also known as boutique studios, offering a range of products and unparalleled service. Think Lexus vs. Hyundai, think Nordstrom vs. WalMart.
Custom photography should have you, the client and your experience in mind.